Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → The Spark → Commitment → Thread

You Are What You Eat

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-07-19

PM

All the workout routines posted here and on Arnold’s website are fantastic. People should experiment and try all of them for variety and to see what works well for them. One thing people also may need to remember is that what you put in your mouth is 80% of what you will look like.

You need protein to build muscle, carbohydrates for energy and little bit of healthy fat for good health. A good balance of protein/carbs/fat is key because you need your blood sugar stabilized in order to function well and have enough energy. Protein sends the insulin down and carbs send the insulin up. If the insulin is really low, then you will not have enough energy; if it is too high, you will store fat. So, it’s good to keep it balanced with a balanced diet.

The biggest problem when you see people on a diet is that they have pasta salad with lettuce on their plate at a salad bar thinking they are going to lose weight. What happens there is that the insulin goes high from the carbs so the body is in the fat storage mode; the carbs cause the body to retain water and then the person overeats because their body is not satisfied without the complete amino acids it is searching for from the protein or meat that is missing. It’s not just about calories. It’s about chemistry.

When a person eats protein and it is synthesized in the body, it creates ammonia which the body will flush any excess out. This creates water loss which is why protein power diets are popular. But also why sometimes the weight loss is temporary. The protein sends the insulin down. But many people feel fatigued eating only protein with limited carbs and do not have the energy to train without some carbs. And they get brain fog because the brain is run on blood glucose.

If you train and want to grow bigger muscles, you need to eat enough protein to build the muscles. And you need to make sure you rest because you only grow while you rest.

Some of this is basic for people who train, but for people who are new to getting in shape, it’s important to realize that what you put in your mouth is also important in determining whether you gain/lose muscle and gain/lose fat. A balanced diet is key…and listen to your body. Your needs and metabolism will be different than anyone else’s. Eat so you feel comfortable and can function with enough energy. Stop before you feel so full that you need a nap.

Gain muscle = + Protein
Lost weight = - carbs and fat (not completely eliminate, but keep it limited until you reach your goal).

And remember….love your body right now…no matter what it looks like…because that will create a healthy energy within that will help you stay motivated and inspired to take good care of it. Every body is amazing because it carries out thousands of functions on cellular levels. Feed your body good food so it can do its job well.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-07-24

PM

Wonderful post.  Too many people forget the things you said and get lost along the way on their journey.  As a vegan, sometimes people give me grief about what I DO eat and what I DON’T.  As you said in your post, “every body is amazing” and there is an individual controlling that wonderful and amazing body.  We have to do the best we can each day to take care of it.  Thank you for sharing.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-07-19

PM

Ritaj, it is good you listen to your body…thanks for sharing. 

Now…this is interesting about carbs…
http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/carb-back-loading-whats-old-is-new

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2012-07-23

PM

Has anyone tried backloading?

I used it this past year to take my body from 178lbs to 210lbs.  It works really well.