Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → The Spark → Commitment → Thread

The First Post - Motivation

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-07-19

PM

We all have experienced some form of motivation in our lives, from academics to aesthetics.
Many of us here have even seen Arnold throughout the years, from bodybuilding through cinema. And while that physique is something to be very proud of, some people don’t acknowledge the amount of discipline and commitment that goes into a healthy life style.

There comes a tipping point where initial motivation starts to fade and we begin to lose our focus. In a world where many of our generation lacks responsibility and drive (I’ve had my moments too only being 24) how do we build ourselves to get that mix of determination and mental push that is needed for success?

That is the question and through my years of training people (I’ve trained / created many fitness and diet programs as well as being a High School Math teacher) I’ve learned that drive comes keeping something important to you in the forefront of your mind. So I ask everybody, what is it that is important to you? What do you want to drive you to be a better you?

Work without passion hardly ever compares to its counterpart.

If you’re doing something from squatting to bike riding, at a certain point your mind pushes against you and you must be ready. This was not meant to be easy. I know fathers that keep pedaling with the idea that, “this last mile will help make sure I see my daughter get married” or young people from increasingly obese households that say, “This last rep will help me make sure I break that chain of an unhealthy lifestyle.”

Let me give you my favorite motivational video from one of my heroes, Kai Greene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-o-eUjQeZI
(warning, there are some explicit words. Just a few!)

I listen to this every time I’m having a hard time and my mind is trying to convince me to not push myself.

Also, do you remember that one really easy thing that you did that you couldn’t wait to brag to your family and friends about? Neither do I.

Rank

Joined 2012-07-19

PM

motivation and willpower, i think are key they are the difference between ” i will do it tomorrow” and “no lets do it now”. 

at 54 with two prolapsed lumber discs i can still train with weights i just have to adjust my routine to exercises that suit me, and the spark 1% or 15 mins a day is just right for me, i split my routine in three which take about 20 mins each on alternate days i do not lift heavy weights anymore and my goal now is muscle tone rather than growth, just trying to keep the shape i have as long as i physically can.

my rule is keep it simple, keep it fun, and keep trying.

Arnold was always a massive influence on me from the early seventies to date.
if i loose motivation/willpower i will put pumping iron in the dvd player, the dumbells soon come out and i train as i watch my hero’s.

regards
brent

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-07-19

PM

For me it’s a constant fight to try and get onto that elliptical trainer. It is hard to start and at first it is very easy to get off track… but as I put more time and effort in, I realise that quitting will just mean that it was a waste.

I became quite an addict for work out Feb-Mar, with 500 workout minutes in March alone. But then a holiday in Israel came up, and I lost all the motivation.  Excuses rolled in for the next few months (exams, trying to find a job, going out etc) and I became unhappy again.

I guess what it took for me to get back into it, was getting out of the box and seeing myself from the side (if you know what I mean). I have become this person with excuses, unproductive time wastage (not a word, I know).  Once I saw how miserable the picture was, I just took a book, music player and got onto that elliptical trainer. 50 minutes later, I feel great. And I remember how much I used to love the sessions at the beginning of the year.

Of course to keep the motivation going, I will try to be versatile in my workouts (do some yoga, skipping, roller-blading, running, toning etc).

Another way to motivate yourself I think, is taking a before picture ... maybe a picture of the body you want to achieve (although, healthy and reachable), get an exercise buddy, read articles of people who have already reached their goal, maybe a TV program.

Just a couple of things wink

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-07-19

PM

Motivation….. When I’m struggling to do those last few reps to complete the set, I stop for a moment, catch my breath and look at the big guy who walks past. You know the type that’s x4 my size, and I think Don’t Quit. I’ve been training for one year now, but still consider myself new. My trainer is leaving to live in America, so I have had no choice but to train on my own, and I have lapsed the last two weeks, but I went today and was annoyed that I only did half of my program as I started to feel dizzy. I am determined, one time I puked, but didn’t let that stop me from finishing the work out.

Motivation…. Suppose that’s why I’m here. To learn from other people.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-07-25

PM

Just joined the forum, & I expect that it won’t be long before they’re a million members. I once asked a forum full of people, “why do you exercise?”, because I lost a reason to do it. I got 181 replies, but I couldn’t adopt any of them as my own (even though they did resonate for me).

Simple fact for me, Arnold told me to do it, so I must do it. My respect for him appears to be greater than the respect I hold for myself. That will change in time, but I’ve got to start somewhere! Good to meet you all smile

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-07-24

PM

Guys i just discovered ‘Les Brown’. Perhaps the greatest motivation speaker on the planet. Its not fitness related directly but same mentality applies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqfYJ0Cf1OA

Rank

Joined 2012-07-28

PM

One motivation and it’s power