Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → Popular Content → Photos → Thread

Joe Weider passes away…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1224

Joined 2012-07-25

PM

FLEX Magazine FLEX Magazine ‏@FLEX_Magazine

A pioneer in bodybuilding & the man who made FLEX Magazine what it is today has passed on. Rest In Peace Joe Weider. #ALegendToThisLifestyle

Another Icon, maybe THE Icon, of the Iron Age. RIP Mr. Weider.

Image Attachments

Untitled-1gfhftutru_copy.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-25

PM

glower - 23 March 2013 10:16 AM

A pioneer in bodybuilding & the man who made FLEX Magazine what it is today has passed on. Rest In Peace Joe Weider. #ALegendToThisLifestyle

“Trainer of Champions”.

Image Attachments

424811_489177114456140_856685578_n.jpg

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-25

PM

glower - 23 March 2013 10:22 AM

“Trainer of Champions”.

RIP Joe Weider

Image Attachments

04_17.jpg

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-25

PM

glower - 23 March 2013 10:26 AM

“Trainer of Champions”.

RIP Joe Weider

Image Attachments

scan0011.jpgscan0010.jpg

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-25

PM

glower - 23 March 2013 10:37 AM
glower - 23 March 2013 10:26 AM

“Trainer of Champions”.

RIP Joe Weider

end of an era…the golden era….....RIP

Image Attachments

318204_320228261381536_1508651925_n.jpg

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-25

PM

@Arnold Schwarzenegger…Today, I lost a dear friend and mentor, and the world lost one its strongest advocates of living a healthy lifestyle. Joe Weider was a titan in the fitness industry and one of the kindest men I have ever met.

I knew about Joe Weider long before I met him - he was the godfather of fitness who told all of us to “Be Somebody with a Body.” He taught us that through hard work and training we could all be champions. When I was a young boy in Austria, his muscle magazines provided me with the inspiration and the blueprint to push myself beyond my limits and imagine a much bigger future. I know that countless others around the world found motivation in the pages of his publications just as I did, but as I read his articles in Austria, I felt that he was speaking directly to me and I committed to move to America to make my vision of becoming the best bodybuilder, to live the American dream, and to become an actor a reality.

Joe didn’t just inspire my earliest dreams; he made them come true the day he invited me to move to America to pursue my bodybuilding career. I will never forget his generosity. One of Joe’s greatest qualities is that he wasn’t just generous with his money; he freely gave of his time and expertise and became a father figure for me. He advised me on my training, on my business ventures, and once, bizarrely, claimed I was a German Shakespearean actor to get me my first acting role in “Hercules in New York”, even though I barely spoke English. As my career took off, he was always nearby, giving advice, promoting my movies or my crusade as the Chairman of the President’s Council on Fitness in the pages of his magazines, and appearing at my fundraisers and events when I decided to run for Governor. He was there for me constantly throughout my life, and I will miss him dearly.

He leaves behind a fantastic legacy of a fitter world. Very few people can claim to have influenced as many lives as Joe did through his magazines, his supplements, his training equipment, and his big-hearted personality. Joe was known for urging everyone, “Exceed yourself,” and there is no question that throughout his life, he did just that.

My thoughts and prayers are with his extraordinary wife, the love of his life, Betty, and all of his family and friends.

Image Attachments

1968-Mr.-Universe2.jpg

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2013-05-17

PM

Bodybuilding started to deconstruct itself when Joe withdrew from active involvement. In one way or the other he forced his vision on the sport, as he had some eye for art and esthetics (remember the articles on esthetics….“a curved line is more pleasing than a straight line…”) and he projected this esthetic outward there was a better product, better physiques. Indirectly, this probably also had the effect of limiting drug use. Under Joes iron fisted control we had, Arnold, Nubret, Zane, Sergio, Louie, Draper, Robby…..today the competitors look like they should be living underneath a bridge and stealing goats. Last good Mr O was Samir, been downhill ever since. RIP Joe

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 457

Joined 2012-09-19

PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger shared a very close relationship with Joe Weider. It was Joe Weider who called Arnold Schwarzenegger to USA. Schwarzenegger won many bodybuilding competitions and helped Weider in his mail-order business. Gradually Weider became a father-figure to Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger has written in his book “Total Recall” that he did not share a loving and amiable relationship with his own father - Gustav Schwarzenegger. Weider fulfilled this role in Schwarzenegger’s life. It must have been very sad for Schwarzenegger to lose Weider recently.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 457

Joined 2012-09-19

PM

Joe Weider was a great support system to Arnold. Arnold learnt a lot from.Weider. He was a father figure for Arnold.