Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → The Spark → Progress → Thread

Carbs, Calories, Protein, and Fats!

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-07-24

PM

Help me out.
Before i googled some answers today i was naive and assumed the following…

1) Excess consumed protein was passed out the digestive system.
2) The body can not covert consumed fats into body fat.
3) Carbs. The body converts carbs consumed into fat.
4) Calories, Short term energy that spikes your blood sugar level. some excess converted to fats.

But after studying google today, It appears i am idiot….

The answer i was searching for today was ‘whats the diff between sugars/calories and carbohydrates’?

And the answer i seem to get is…

Proteins, Fats and Carbohydrates all have Calories…. WTF?

Apparently the body ether converts carbohydrates to fat or calories depending on the level energy needed?
And excess protein also can be converted to Fat or energy/calories….

It appears they are all the same just with varying levels of calories and protein.

Am i rite? or am i still lost?

I preferred my old understanding better.

It seems difficult to understand dieting when basically no matter what you consume can all ultimately be converted to fat anyway if consuming more than can be burnt.

I would have preferred to know that eating lean meets hi hi vegetable diets resulted in massive weight loss. But i discovered now that even vegetable like Peas corn potatoes all have hi levels of carbs. !gram of carbs=4 calories. 1gram of protein also = 4 calories. 1 gram fat = 9 calories.

Is it just me, or no mater what we eat we are still just basically eating calories. And if we eat to much it will be converted to fat.

It seems the logical answer for weight lose is to basically eat less than im eating now, on all food groups….

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2012-07-23

PM

To answer your question, yes, eat less of everything.

But here’s the kicker.  Our body is more efficient at converting carbs to energy as opposed to protein to energy.  This means that the body literally burns calories to digest protein.

If you want to lose weight, first focus on good food choices (vegetables, meats, eggs, oils, nuts instead of processed foods).

After you master that, then try things like only eating starchy carbohydrates on evenings that you workout, eating protein with every meal.

Also, lift heavy weights.

Rank

Joined 2012-07-24

PM

Thanks Jason, Ive been doing more reading and found great info on the benifits of some food.

Ive also done as you sugested.
My fridge is full of healthy unprocesed food. And im a lot more wiser now about what i should be avoiding.

Ive also been recording my body weight twice a day.

I noticed just in one week i have appeared to have lean out apearence wise in the face.

I suspect its from healthy diet now of friut that is detoxing the body of salt, I read that with hi salt diet your body hold more water?

Im still eating a lot, but healthier choices.

FYI my Weight journal over the last few days….

Morning   Night
Thur                 99.8
Frid       99.1         99.8
Sat       98.9         100.2
Sun       99.5         100
Mon     98.8         99.5
Tues     98.6       99.4
Wed     98.5

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2012-07-23

PM

If you want my suggestion, take a picture of yourself weekly in your underwear.  I wish I did this when I started changing my body.  You’ll be amazed at the changes.

Rank

Joined 2012-07-24

PM

Thanks thats good advice, Perhaps i will start make weekly journal of that too.

BTW you mention before “Our body is more efficient at converting carbs to energy as opposed to protein to energy”

Can you elaborate? Do you mean better to try get calories from protein rather than carbs? because our body will burn calories trying to retrieve calories from protein vs Carbs?