Welcome guest, please Login or Register

You are here: Forum Home → The Spark → Commitment → Thread

What do I do to get self discipline?

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

I am asking because I am either lazy or have no self respect how do I get either? I am asking because I know this is the first step for doing anything to make myself a better person

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-07-24

PM

Hi, I know this is an old post, But i think its an imported topic that most of us need help with.

Search speakers like Jim Rohns and Brian Tracey for Self discipline, they have some real good advice.
And the have a ton of material on youtube.

Discipline is a habit that can be learned with constant conscious effort.
it takes 21 day to learn new habits, And the more habits you discipline your self to the easier it gets.
Simple things like apple a day or going to bed and waking early all help lead to discipline of greater more powerful habits.

Also, important note is that people who feel they lack self discipline are generally the most discipline of all. They are constantly aware of it and looking to improve open it. Where the others give it no consideration at all.

FYI I find that reminding yourself by writing your yearly goals down every morning and making a daily to do list helps a lot with discipline and time management. It also helps eliminate procrastination.

Jim Rohn quotes “don’t start the day until you’ve got it planed”

The most important part of success in any area is constant self discipline. And that is something that so many people lack.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-01-04

PM

Self-discipline means doing what you committed to do regardless of how you feel. This is a big deal because a lot of people can be counted on to do the great things in life if they feel like it.
Oftentimes, when you wake up, it’s as if you want to go straight back to bed. Sometimes, you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or you have a bad hair day.

How Do You Build Discipline?

The best way to build self-discipline regardless of where you come from, regardless of your experience, regardless of your expectations is to adopt a three-pronged approach. These are based on three fundamental facts. If you approach building discipline from these three avenues, you increase your likelihood of success.
You have to adopt all three. You can’t just cherry pick or treat this like some sort of cafeteria. You pick a couple and then you leave the rest behind. That’ won’t work. You have to adopt all three. That’s part of building discipline.

Fundamental Fact #1: Discipline is Like a Muscle
Just like building muscles, discipline needs to be challenged. You need to put a lot of pressure on it. You need to put yourself in situations where you need to exercise it.

Fundamental Fact #2: Discipline Requires Willpower
Willpower is like a block of ice that’s given to you.When you work to make sure that you have an adequate starting supply of willpower, and you commit to using it efficiently to maximize discipline, you get optimal results.

Fundamental Fact #3: Mindfulness Helps You Boost Discipline
If you adopt some sort of mindfulness or meditation practice, you can train your mind to work in such a way that you are able to become more disciplined.

‘Self-discipline. Get yourslef motivated and learn how to achieve your goals.’ by Maxine Hay
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077CWY7TS

All the best